Sunday, October 29, 2006

It's Still 1984 Here

Here's the thing about the Internet in China - it's really slow. Why so slow, you may ask? Well, for one thing they are still developing their technology capabilities and high-speed Internet is not a given in many households (I am coming to you live on a dial-up. It's all very 1999.), but also there this whole "filters" thing going on whereby certain pages are off limits to the public. You'll be reading the NYTimes online and click on a business article and it gives you an error page, or you search for something harmless like designer handbags and it doesn't come up. Even my own blog is inaccessible to me here. So I hope that I am publishing these posts but I have no way of knowing if they are actually coming up on my page. Perhaps it's all ending up on the censor's floor. Who knows? Just a little piece of humble Commie pie for me, the naive Westerner.

No comments: