Sunday, March 12, 2006

NYC Culinary Adventure

So we're in New York (or the Big Crapple) this weekend. And today's bad weather is to your advantage dear reader as I take some time to run down a few of the places we've been satiating ourselves. Before I get into the details I will make a confession - I am addicted to MenuPages. I kid you not, I've probably logged a good 12 hours on that site in the last week. I suppose it appeals to the academic in me - it is pure research, and it is infinite. There's also the slightly obsessive quality that I possess whereby I will immerse myself in something only to subsequently purge myself of the interest entirely. So for now, perusing NYC menus is the most interesting thing ever. This website it fantastic - there are complete menus available, tons of detailed user reviews, and basic info needed to plot a gastronomic adventure. It's also fun to read a Frank Bruni review and then go look up exactly how expensive and interesting the restaurant looks on paper.

So after all the research is said and done, where have we been eating? Well, Del Posto and Ninja and all those mega-restaurants sound nice and all, but we decided to go low-key but high style.
I finally made it out to Pastis with my friend Suze and yes it was the scene we were looking for. Lots of Heath Ledger look-alikes, but alas, no Heathage. But I certainly enjoyed my dainty "frites." Though I know Pastis is not the new hot tattooed kid on the meat-packing block, it has by now established itself as a frenzied, fun, trendy, place where the food is good and the people watching super-absorbing.

Next for dinner was Republic, the futuristic Asian communal-eating warehouse where orders are punched into a hand-held computer by a friendly but curt waiter and where the food is reliable, inexpensive, and satisfying. The green tea ice cream for dessert, though not innovative, was superb.

We're off to the Armory show (which will probably be just like Art Basel but grittier) so stay tuned for more wacky mad-cap antics!

No comments: