Thursday, March 06, 2008

Persian Cooking


Persian food is waiting for its close-up. It's complicated, delicate and super delicious. I should know, I grew up eating the various citrus-inflected stews, hearty rice platters and grilled meats. In practice Persian food is similar to Indian and Turkish dining styles but that's where the similarities end. The spices used are different: saffron, sumac and turmeric are used and the cooking style is less heavy. The stews are light and herby rather than creamy and spicy. This NYTimes article and photo capture a lot of what I think of when I remember my grandmother's cooking.

3 comments:

Mia Celeste said...

Wow, your picture makes me hungry. Yum.

SteveBM said...

Ive met a lot of beautiful Persian women so Im not surprised that the food at least looks great.

sara said...

BM - the food is indeed amazing. And, though we've never met, I'll take that as a compliment ;-)