Wednesday, December 12, 2007

Design Miami


More photos courtesy of Adrienne. These are mainly of Design Miami's Designer of the Year Tokujin Yoshioka's top floor installation at the Moore Building. At first, I was surprised to hear he had received the award (over other Asian designers like Naoto Fukasawa or Shuwa Tei). But I think part of the intention in giving him the award was to highlight him as a less obvious choice. Perhaps Design Miami thinks they'll boost his career (and the profile of the fair in turn?). In any case, Tokujin brought it. Everyone was loving the installation. The plastic straws were poetically simple but I was won over by the white honeycomb chair.

2 comments:

Verticus Erectus said...

That top photo looks like Zaha Hadid's installation from last year. Or maybe I've been imbibing in the eggnog way too early this year.

Glad I met you at the "party." If I hadn't, I wouldn't have discovered this way cool blog.

sara said...

It actually is Zaha Hadid's installation from 2005 and it's still there. I think it will be there for a while.
Glad you like the blog!